Saturday, April 20, 2019

A to Z challenge - R for Rasgolla



I lived in Patparganj area in East Delhi for three months when I came to Delhi in June 2015. One evening with I was on way back from market, I saw a municipal van carrying garbage stopped on the roadside. 

Two street children were rummaging through the waste in the carrier van for edibles and recyclables. One of the boys exulted holding a pack he recovered from the garbage, "Rasgolla milaaaa... (I got Rasgolla)" and ran.

And the other boy started chasing him to snatch it from him. I froze on the road. Tears were unstoppable.

Rasgollas, a popular Indian sweet with its origin in eastern part of the country, would find its place in garbage van only when stale. I imagined how the little children (who were 7-10 years) would be relishing the stale Rasgollas. 

Buying them a fresh pack of Rasgollas wouldn't have solved the problem anyway. Helpless and ashamed, I continued my walk home, carrying a bagful of fresh vegetables and groceries I bought for the week. 

No comments: