Thursday, April 18, 2019

A to Z challenge - P for Parameshwari


"Didiii... Kaamwali chahiye (Sister, you want a maid?)," she called out from my gate. 

I was new to this East Delhi house in April 2016. I stepped out to see who it was and saw a frail old woman standing with folded hands. She requested to give her some job. I told her politely that I don't need anyone at the moment as I preferred to do all the work myself.

A few days later, she again came and offered to clean toilets everyday for Rs 300 per month. I felt bad thinking what would be making her to take up jobs at such paltry sums, that too at her age. She looked over 70 years. 
Since I had no intention or necessity to keep a domestic help, I gave her some money or clothes or food whenever she came to me. 



After several such instances, I felt she was taking advantage of it. She would come to my house asking for water and when I give her water, she would narrate some story and ask for money. One was that her son was falsely implicated in a case and jailed. Another time, she wanted help to consult a doctor as she was unwell. Then it was her grandchild who was sick, etc. 

There were instances when I got really angry with her for ringing the bell when I was sleeping after night shift. I have told her repeatedly not to disturb me before 11am. Many times she irked me with her reasonings. Then I feel bad. 

Parameshwari (that is her name) still comes at least twice a month, to remind me of my blessings. 

2 comments:

Erin Penn said...

I live on the corner next to the "poor" shopping center - two second-hand stores, the immigrant market, two bus stops, etc. If I am out in the yard, every day someone asks if I have a job they could do. I do not have money for all of them, or even one of them regularly, so I can't help any of them.

It is not an easy problem to solve - either for society or for your personal emotions. I understand your dilemma. - Erin (http://www.erinpenn.com/blog/)

Yamini Nair said...

Thanks Erin. Yes, it's not something one or two individuals can solve :(