Friday, April 12, 2019

A to Z challenge - K for Kittu



Kittu aka Jackie. Kittu for me, Jackie for kids in the colony. He came to my life when I shifted to the present rented accommodation in East Delhi in 2016. 

One among the many stray dogs in the colony I befriended, he was initially skeptical to strike a friendship with me. Soon he added meaning to my mornings. I would often wake up to him whining at my gate gently, in an indication to open it for him. 

I would open the gate, he would dash into the bathroom outside my house that was unused. I would keep it clean for him to sleep after a light meal and water I offered him. 

I would pet him for a while, brush him, which he loved, and often bathe him, which he hated. Then he would snuggle up in his favourite corner and ignore me. He showed the maturity of his age (he was around 12 years old then) by not indulging in any mischief like younger dogs did.

When I start for work in the afternoon, I'd call him from my door. I would speak in Malayalam, my native language -- "Kittooo, I'm leaving... come, I need to lock the gate."  And he would come running and wait for me to put on my shoes. Both of us would leave the place together. He would get another handful of pedigree if his nap was too long.



And it all ended. I was away at home on vacation for two weeks. Usually when I get back from vacation, he would come running and express his joy of meeting me after long. But in September 2018, when I got back from vacation, it was different. He didn't come to me. I didn't have the heart to ask my neighbours as I feared something worse. 

Couple of days later I asked the uncle nextdoor about Kittu. He told me Kittu died. I didn't check for details... All I knew was he got some care in his last days.

I still have canine companions here. But the void that Kittu left remains... 


No comments: