Tuesday, April 9, 2019

A to Z challenge - H for Handwritten words

What I miss receiving and giving the most -- handwritten words. 

It may read as a continuation of my previous blog on greeting cards. Because handwritten words were immediately associated with the long letters I used to write till the Gmail era. 

As a school student, I used to be thrilled when my language teachers gave a 'good', 'very good' or '5/5' in my copy writing book. The beauty of my writing only evolved with doing it more. 

Till I completed my post-graduation, I never really missed handwritten words. That was the time I was introduced to emails. 

A prolific letter writer, I would never let my friends who were far miss any happenings in my life. Writing the way I talk, my letters were always long. Very rarely I stopped with one sheet of paper. Mostly it ran into 6 pages, which could be sent at the minimum cost of postal envelope then. There were occassions when my friends had to cough up an amount to receive my letter that weighed extra.  

It all stopped with the internet boom. Still I used to write long emails that were eventually eliminated by instant messages. The smell of ink, the folding of paper, the hours of focus were all lost... along with the connect through handwritten words...

2 comments:

Jz said...

Gosh, yes.
I'd even use a fountain pen for letters to good friends.
I miss getting letters... altho' I still write and receive a lot of long emails, so there's at least that.
H is also for Happy memories. :-)

Enjoy the A-Z'ing!

Yamini Nair said...

True :) Handwritten words are happy memories )