Saturday, April 27, 2019

A to Z challenge - W for Window sights



My first fascination in life. As a kid, during our rare family outings, my brother and I would fight for the window seat in the public transport bus. I would be super thrilled when I grab one (with no premium charge!).

Harsh wind beating against my face never bothered me. I would hold on to the narrow rod on the bus window and look at trees, shops, electric poles and people whizzing past as the bus gained speed. 

The fascination only grew with me. When I went home on my first vacation from Chennai where I started working, I was in the second class sleeper compartment of a train. It was April and scorching in Chennai. When I got up after a sleepless night in train, the window sights were so refreshing. The train had reached Palakkad. 

Lush green fields were running past and the whiff of fresh paddy was wafting across. The first feeling of homecoming came in through that open window of the train compartment.



Another instance I was traveling from Bangalore to Mangalore by Karwar Express. It was day train and I was in AC chair car. Tired after working late in the night, I dozed off in the train for a while. When I woke up, what I saw seemed a dream. Clouds descending on blue hills... 

Then it was the abundance of green fields in Punjab, the serenity of Uttarakhand or the stillness of Bihar villages... I make sure I don't sleep or read if the travel is day time 

The sights, sounds and light that seep in through any window bring along a unique feeling of life that goes on outside. 

No comments: